Chris for hire - Agile Software Delivery and Coaching
Who am I?
I am Chris Pitts, Boss Bear at Thirsty Bear Solutions. I’m a polymath consultant with a wide range of skills from multiple disciplines; a “Jack of All Trades, Master of Some”, if you will. I am an experienced test-infected developer, personal and business coach, a leader, trusted advisor and team whisperer. But first and foremost I help organisations with Software Delivery using iterative, continuous delivery, automated testing, test driven development, and code craft. I help teams and organisations find their mojo. I know a lot about technology choices, tradeoffs and pitfalls, but I am not afraid to say “I don’t know - let’s figure it out”, and get hands on keyboard alongside the team.
What have I done?
This is a tough one. The short answer is “lots”. Over the years I have worked in many different domains such as telecoms, medical software, and retail. I have played roles such as consultant, developer, team lead and coach. I have helped people build software, build teams, fix their recruitment processes and also move their personal career forward.
Some edited highlights:
- I am an approved Scrum Alliance REP trainer for the Certified Scrum Developer course. That is, I have taught quite a few people how to leverage modern iterative, "agile" techniques to deliver high quality software - both through certified and uncertified courses. Your Head of Software Development might well have been trained by me at some point in their past.
- Helped a growing company transition from their less disciplined startup practices to cope with ongoing success, allowing them to expand and grow without losing pace. I actively collaborated with the CTO, helping him understand the deep underlying issues within the company, and advising on potential courses of action in order to implement iterative change successfully with minimal friction, while improving delivery and reduce risk of failure. As a result, release cadence dropped from 12 weeks to 2-3 weeks, with further improvements in the pipeline.
- Developed a simple track & trace logging system for local businesses needing to log visitors to their premises. Customers can scan a QR code and enter their details, which are then stored securely and deleted after 21 days, as per UK government guidelines, unless there is a positive infection reported to the business owner. Currently in use in several locations.
- Assisted Product Owners in a large motor manufacturer in how to break down what they need, and present it as outcome-based, prioritised deliverables suitable for passing to a technical development team, without resorting to micromanagement antipatterns.
- Worked with several teams in a bank, leading them through making changes to critical internal services. Improved internal and inter-team working while identifying major issues in the overall management style and approach. Improved delivery flow by removing unnecessary process steps that had been introduced.